Pages

6.09.2009

Two new frameworks


As I've worked with David Ronfeldt's TIMN framework for societal evolution, I've realized how well it fits macro scale patterns throughout history. His framework also captures lots of the features of a quadriform society that is currently emerging on our planet. As I've sought to apply this framework at the micro scale, where relational grammars make the most sense, I've gotten into problems with words, labeling, over-generalizations, and anthromorphizing inert structures. These problems have proven to create a perfect context for innovation. The new framework that has emerged explores micro scale patterns of evolution that appear to scale up and be "writ large" on the global stage. These patterns deal with the functions, value, effects and other differences made by ways of relating, rather than societal forms. This framework will be easily spoken of with verbs which escape the problematic nature of nouns.

As I played around with Dave Snowden's Cynefin framework for differentiating situated practices, I've realized how it can approach problems with better strategies. I've seen the parallels between best practices defined by this framework and pattern languages I first utilized as an undergraduate architecture major. As I've sought to apply this framework to micro scale evolution, I've run into another set of problems. This framework does not fit with all I've learned recently about cognitive neuroscience and emotional baggage. It does not answer the questions I have about inter-relating for resilience and sustainability. It falls short of addressing the two kinds of change and self-referential dynamics that can induce transformation. It does not incorporate processes like those in the title of this blog; growing, changing, learning, creating. It became clear to me this morning that pattern languages can be used to resolve the tensions between form, function and context. However, it takes what I'll call a "prediction language" to resolve those concerns along with processes, patterns and the ways our brains work.

Both of these new frameworks call for lots of exploration and explanation in the coming weeks. Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment