When you say there's a connection between this and that, I'm suddenly full of questions. The mere mention of a connection sets me up in discovery mode. I'm full of wonder, fascination and curiosity. I'm wary of knowing too much already and jumping to foregone conclusions. Here's some of what I usually wonder about when someone says "there's a connection":
- I wonder if there is a causal relation where a change in this correlates with a change in that, either positively or negatively.
- I question whether the connection is really acausal, like the classic "chicken & egg" problem where the closed circuit eliminates this coming before that.
- I suspect that the connection is illusory, supporting an explanation for why this happens when that occurs, but lacking in proof.
- I explore downplaying the connection, as if it's really insignificant, sporadic or inconsistent in some other way.
- I investigate the possibility that the connection is much larger than proposed, yielding huge impacts, side effects and long term consequences.
- I wonder if the connection eludes observation, measurement and verification because it follows a pattern of:
- a slow, undetectable buildup until it reaches an obvious critical mass
- a flaring up at the slightest provocation and then disappearing when the stimulus gets withdrawn
- a delayed reaction as if other components need to be assembled prior to making or using the connection
- a pulling back a sling shot, pendulum or spring-loaded mechanism prior to release in the opposite direction
- an oscillating between two extremes without stabilizing in the middle
- a combining two oscillations which either amplify or dampen the fluctuations
- I question whether the connection is robust, resilient and sustainable under variable contexts or adversary pressures.
- I suspect the connection can become disconnected, alleviated or moderated by some intervention, attrition or neglect.
- I query the origination of the connection and the preliminary conditions that support the formation of the connection.
- I situate the connection with other connections to discover if the connections compete, provide viable choices or synergize in some way.
- I seek to enact the connection to get a feel for going there or for taking that route for getting from this to that
In other words, mention of a connection between this and that opens the mind to a phenomenal amount of reflection and collaborative inquiry.