Pages

12.27.2006

Comments on "Changing is The Work"

Last week my posting titled "Changing is the work" received three insightful comments.

Stephen gave a wonderful example of "being the change", "tooling around" and "proceeding as a visionary leader" when he said:
I tell people, I am doing now with my current work what I think teaching professionals will do in the future - not courses and classes, but living the discipline, documenting the work, participating in community.

I reap almost daily evidence that it's working.

Brent has opened the door on one of my favorite ways to conceptualize learning, healing and personal growth when he said:
I think what we are talking about is exactly the same thing that David Shaffer is putting forth in his book, How Computer Games Help Children Learn. Don't let the title fool you. This book is ALL about the things we are all currently blogging about...The Epistemic frame of any given profession, or professional endeaver is what needs to be learned for anyone to be successful. Learning that frame by engaging with those who practice it daily and "becoming" a peer, if even for a short time, has incredible learning value. I'm excited for others to read the book so we can start formulating our discussions around it in the concept in the new year.
An "epistemic frame" is how we know what we know, our basis for perceiving and reacting the way we do. When we change our frame of reference, problems vanish, competencies emerge, and learning occurs contagiously. Amazon shipped a copy of the book to me yesterday. To be continued...

Dave is using a learning strategy I find very useful: wondering what two separate things have to do with each other. He's thinking through ways to combine diffusion models with the forecasts offered in response to the LCB December question. He said:

I've long been a fan of the Diffusion of Innovation model first put forth by Rogers and the popularized by Moore. But I think Chris Anderson may well have it right, at least as Web 2.0 technologies may evolve, with his long-tail theory.

As I understand Everett Roger's model, he is using an "epistemic frame" of the product category getting accepted by different minded buyers. The product and producing is a given. Chris Anderson is saying there is a diffusion of innovating, producing and distributing that creates a long tail of citizen creativity. Roger's is "diffusing the outputs" of the factory and
Anderson is "diffusing the factories".

Thanks for the great comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment