Pages

1.02.2007

Getting framed by epistemic frames

In the Introduction to "How Computer Games Help Children Learn", David Shaffer promotes a change in education from delivering content to transmitting the epistemic frames of competent practitioners. He is seeking a way for all children to become innovators. In my mentoring of entrepreneurs, I am also nurturing creativity and cultivating innovations. Yet my focus is on changing the epistemic frames in use. In either case, it's helpful to understand what "epistemic frames" are and how they effect learning, performance and outcome measures. If I question "are you good enough?", you have been framed by evaluation in an elimination round. You are on the brink of being outcast, excluded or cut from the team. I am assuming this is a black and white issue with no gray areas. I am in total control of the rules and application of criteria. You are invited to be silenced, dominated by my power and subjected to other external authorities. I am using an "epistemic frame" of superiority over you while giving you an epistemic frame of inferiority under me. The long term effect on your learning, creativity and intrinsic motivation would be devastating.

If I question "how good are you?", you have been framed by the premises of normative evaluation in a series of contests. I assume you can be compared to others on the same scale and stats can be recorded. Without anything being said, you will compare yourself to others, get on your case if you don't measure up and compete to be superior to others. You are being cultivated to use an epistemic frame of superiority and to have a devastating effect on other's creativity. You will get the idea that learning is tiring work that depends on external rewards to make the effort.

If I question "how are you good?", you have been framed by my use of idiosyncratic evaluation. I assume there is no comparison to others and there is much inside of you to bring out. Without any explicit guidance, you will find your voice, express yourself, and bring your gifts to the world. You are being cultivated to use an epistemic frame of creativity that will nurture other's informal learning. You will get the idea that learning is a flow experience and intrinsically rewarding.

Thus any "epistemic frame" is where I'm coming from, what I am assuming, what premise I'm using, the context I'm creating, the basis for my outlook or the way I am acting as-if. The effect on learning, performance and outcome measures is profound.

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment