Pages

3.05.2009

Overview of disrupting higher ed


Thus far, I've explored the main facets of the sustaining innovation side to the changes in higher ed I'm foreseeing. I have over 200 pages of notes that explore the other disruptive innovation side. That would be WTMI (way too much information) to write up. Happily, Slideshare now accommodates slide shows with recorded narration. I'm currently exploring that possibility for condensing my 200+ pages of notes while making them more sticky, immersive and actionable. The idea of posting "podcasts with pictures" on this blog appeals to me greatly.

Another facet of disrupting higher ed I have yet to mention is the college advising piece. The current generation of college applicants falls into a frenzy about getting into "the best schools" as soon as they enter high school. There's a new cadre of "admissions advisors" who assume college is unquestionably good. They only question whether students are good enough to get in where they want. They work on finding a good fit with good schools as if diplomas are valuable, school reputations rock the business world and life long income streams are a result of where you went to school. It would disrupt their revenue stream to question the value of college educations, to critique the quality of college outcomes or to anticipate the disruption/migrations like I am.

I expect college advising will become the centerpiece of these disrupted institutions. Applicants will need to understand the shattering of the old business model and the transformation of the separate value propositions. Students will also need help deciding if the sustaining side is right for them. Those that fit the Gen Y's, gamers or digital natives stereotypes will likely find their path on the disruptive side of the four migrations. I've been accumulating strategies for how that advising would best be done and how to launch a "good enough" startup this year.

My Google Analytics reports tell me the most read post on this blog for the past several months has been Resolving emotional baggage. I've realized that is a crucial piece of my disrupted approach to college advising. The metaphor of "emotional baggage" provides a powerful model for liberating college applicants and students from their personal past history. Every imaginable problem that comes up for them can be cleared up easily. My next series of blog posts will reveal how the full spectrum of baggage issues can get turned around into valuable resources with a minimum of fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment